Applications have closed for the 2019-2020 LLC Class. Applications for the 2020-2021 LLC Class will open in July 2020!
Application Deadline – Sunday, July 28, 2019
Notification of selections will occur by August 7, 2019. If selected, a fee of $500.00 is due by August 30, 2019.
Note: LLC accepts a maximum of 25 participants each year.
What type of individuals would benefit from LLC?
You are a good candidate for participation in LLC if you meet these criteria:
- Those with past leadership experience through work, church, school and other civic organizations.
- Individuals with untapped leadership potential with a desire to develop / improve leadership skills.
- Those hoping to identify issues and challenges currently being faced in the community.
- Persons with a willingness and commitment to contribute their time, energy, talent, and skills for nine months.
While many similar programs focus solely on young “emerging” leaders, LLC strives to incorporate a wide range of leadership experience levels in its class make-up. With an interactive, interpersonal curriculum designed to support both leadership skills development and exposure to community issues, LLC encourages participants to share the benefit of their own experience while they also learn from others.
A $500 tuition fee covers program materials, supplies and activities, lunches, transportation (when applicable), and participants’ welcome reception and graduation dinners. While the actual cost of the program far exceeds this amount, the Chamber of Commerce contributes substantial administrative and marketing support to LLC. Local businesses and community leaders also consistently invest in local leadership development through generous donations and sponsorships in support of LLC.
Curriculum Requirements & Time Commitments of the Program
Selection to participate in LLC is an honor. The Leadership Academy Advisory Board is responsible for ensuring successful completion of the program, which requires participants to be punctual and to attend each monthly class in full. Any participant missing more than two classes may not be eligible for graduation (partial absences will count as a half-day absence). Each case will be reviewed and determined at the discretion of the Leadership Academy Advisory Board.
- Class sessions are expected to run from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Each student is expected to actively participate in a team community outreach project and can anticipate approximately 20-30 volunteer hours of service outside of class (please note that this is an approximation and time required will vary based on the project chosen by each team).
Leadership Lumpkin County - 2019-2020 Class Schedule
Class Orientation & Welcome Reception
- Thursday, September 12, 2019 from 5:00pm to 8:00pm
- Starting at 2:00pm on Monday, September 16, 2019 and ending at 3:30pm on Tuesday, September 17, 2019
- Personal Strengths & Team Development
Class Days (planned for 8:00am to 5:00pm with occasional exceptions):
- Thursday, October 10, 2019
- "Military Leadership": Understanding Leadesrhip, Trust & Integrity
- Thursday, November 14, 2019
- "Community & Cultural Infrastructure": Appreciating Differences
- Thursday, December 5, 2019
- "Economic Development & Local Government": Collaboration & Problem Solving
- Wednesday, January 8, 2020
- "Share Your Vision, Influence Others": Effective Communication
- Thursday, February 13, 2020 (extended class day - no later than 9pm)
- "State Government / Dahlonega-Lumpkin County Day at the Capitol": Conflict Management
- Thursday, March 12, 2020
- "Education": Developing Leaders
- Thursday, April 2, 2020
- "Tourism": Interpersonal Relationships
- Wednesday, May 6, 2020
- "Leave a Legacy": Leading Change
- Thursday, May 14, 2020 from 6:00pm to 8:00pm
"Learning About Lumpkin on Your Own"
- Requires attending one community meeting of elected officials (ie: City Council, County Commissioners, School Board, etc.)
Community Service Participation
- Each student is required to complete 30 community service hours during the course of the LLC program (please note that this is in addition to any volunteer roles you may already have in the community).
- Note: This community service participation component replaces the community service projects that the Leadership Lumpkin class has completed in the past.